- WBC: America’s Pastime or Latin America’s?
- Prospects On Deck: Jorge Alfaro – Phillies C
- Legends on Deck The Podcast: Episode 6, The Business of Baseball
- The Dark Knight’s Next Evolution: From Hurler to Pitcher
- A Bloop And A Blash – Exclusive Interview With Padres Slugger Jabari Blash
- Atlanta Braves Prospects – Third Basemen
2016 Home Run Derby Bracket Announced
- Updated: July 9, 2016
One of the most anticipated events of the season is almost here! the 2016 Homerun Derby, which is part of the annual All-Star Game festivities, will take place this upcoming Monday at 8:00pm at Petco Park.
The derby will once again be using a bracket format that will feature eight players. Each player was seeded from #1 to #8 with the top seed being assigned to the player with the most homeruns as of Wednesday, July 6 and the eighth seed being assigned to one of the eight players with the least amount of homers at that date.
Each player will be given four minutes per round to hit as many homeruns as possible. A 45 second timeout will be allowed for each player during each round except for the Finals when each player will be allowed two 45 second timeouts.
Any player with a homerun hit farther than 440 feet will be given a thirty second bonus.
The following is how the Homerun Derby matchups will look:
#1 Mark Trumbo (Orioles) vs. #8 Corey Seager (Dodgers)
#4 Robinson Cano (Mariners) vs. #5 Giancarlo Stanton (Marlins)
** Winnner of each matchup will play to decide who will play in the final.
#3 Adam Duvall (Reds) vs. #6 Wil Myers (Padres)
#2 Todd Frazier (White Sox) vs. #7 Carlos Gonzalez (Rockies)
**Winner of each matchup will play to decide who will play in the final.
Homerun Derby Participant Breakdown:
- Mark Trumbo is currently the homerun leader with 27 homeruns.
- Rookie Corey Seager is the seventh rookie to participate in the homerun derby.
- Reigning Homerun Derby Champion, Chicago White Sox Todd Frazier, who won the 2015 at his then home field in Cincinnati is once again participating in the derby but isn’t currently on the All-Star Game roster.This is Frazier’s third consecutive Homerun Derby, he made it to the Finals in 2014 and then win in 2015……can he repeat?
- Marlins’ outfielder Giancarlo Stanton is also not on an All-Star roster.
- Along with Seager, Padres’ Will Myers and the Reds’ Adm Duvall are all first time Derby participants.
- Robinson Cano will be taking part in his fourth Homerun Derby, he won the competition in 2011.
- Gonzalez, Stanton and Trumbo will all be making their second appearance.
Latest posts by Bethany Cohen (see all)
- Nats Trade Top Prospects For OF Adam Eaton - December 7, 2016
- Royals Trade Wade Davis To Cubs In Exchange For Jorge Soler - December 7, 2016
- Rockies And Ian Desmond Agree To 5-Year Deal - December 7, 2016