- WBC: America’s Pastime or Latin America’s?
- Prospects On Deck: Jorge Alfaro – Phillies C
- Legends on Deck The Podcast: Episode 6, The Business of Baseball
- The Dark Knight’s Next Evolution: From Hurler to Pitcher
- A Bloop And A Blash – Exclusive Interview With Padres Slugger Jabari Blash
- Atlanta Braves Prospects – Third Basemen
AFL Rosters Feature Baseball’s Top Prospects
- Updated: September 1, 2016
As the minor league season comes to a close some of baseball’s young talent is preparing for fall and winter play.
The Arizona Fall League is the most popular destination for some of the top rated prospects in the Minors, and with the 2016 rosters recently announced this seasons’ lineup is no different.
Twenty-one players who are ranked on the MLB’s Top 100 list will be going to the AFL.
The thirty Major League teams are divided among six AFL teams as listed below:
- Glendale: White Sox, Astros, Dodgers, Cardinals, Nationals
- Peoria: Orioles, Reds, Padres, Mariners, Rays
- Salt River: Diamondbacks, Braves, Rockies, Tigers, Brewers
- Surprise: Red Sox, Royals, Twins, Pirates, Rangers
- Scottsdale: Angels, Mets, Yankees, Phillies, Giants
- Mesa: Cubs, Indians, Marlins, Athletics, Blue Jays
The 25th season of the Arizona Fall League will begin on October 11, 2016 and then officially conclude on November 19, 2016.
So, who exactly will be playing this season?
- 2014 AFL Most Valuable Player Greg Bird will represent the Yankees. After making a huge impact in the Bronx in his 2015 debut,Bird had to undergo shoulder surgery before the season began which caused him to miss 2016 play. The Yankees want Bird to get some much needed at-bats and reps at first base to help prepare for the 2017 season especially since he is now likely the Yankees’ first baseman since Mark Teixeira announced his retirement at the end of this season.
- Eight player have made their Major League debuts.
- #1 Overall prospect, Boston’s infielder Yoan Moncada, who will make his MLB Debut this week will also play in the AFL.
- Pirates prospect Austin Meadows will be making his second AFL appearance, Meadows who is ranked as the 9th best prospect, has suffered two injuries in 2016 the first was an orbital bone fracture while in Spring Training and a hamstring issue as of late.
- Highly talked about Detroit Tigers’ outfielders Christin Stewart and JaCoby Jones, The latter made his MLB Debut this past week.
While these rosters are still tentative and can change before the season officially opens, below are some other notable prospects to watch for this season:
- Atlanta Braves’ second baseman Ozzie Albies (#14)
- Newly acquired New York Yankee shortstop Gleyber Torres (#20)
- Cubs’ 24th and 26th top prospects, second baseman Ian Happ and outfielder Eloy Jimenez
- New York Mets’ shortstop Gavin Cecchini
- Cleveland Indians’ outfielder Bradley Zimmer
- The Chicago White Sox 2016 First Round Draft pick, Catcher Zack Collins (#88)
As soon as the season starts, check back here at Legends on Deck for the latest Arizona Fall League updates!
Latest posts by Bethany Cohen (see all)
- Nats Trade Top Prospects For OF Adam Eaton - December 7, 2016
- Royals Trade Wade Davis To Cubs In Exchange For Jorge Soler - December 7, 2016
- Rockies And Ian Desmond Agree To 5-Year Deal - December 7, 2016