- WBC: America’s Pastime or Latin America’s?
- Prospects On Deck: Jorge Alfaro – Phillies C
- Legends on Deck The Podcast: Episode 6, The Business of Baseball
- The Dark Knight’s Next Evolution: From Hurler to Pitcher
- A Bloop And A Blash – Exclusive Interview With Padres Slugger Jabari Blash
- Atlanta Braves Prospects – Third Basemen
ALCS Game 3: Indians Are One Win From Trip to World Series
- Updated: October 18, 2016
It has been 19 years since the Cleveland Indians won an American League Pennant to advance to the World Series and on Monday night they took one step closer after defeating the Toronto Blue Jays 4-2 to take a 3-0 series lead.
In the first two games the Indians starting pitching along with timely hitting allowed them to take a 2-0 series lead, but in Game 3, starter Trevor Bauer left the game after only recording two outs in the first inning and it was the bullpen’s turn to lead Cleveland to victory.
Bauer, who received stitches to his right pinkey finger after suffering an injury, lasted only 21 pitches on Monday after the stitches opened up and forced him out of the game.
The Indians then used six different relief pitchers who totaled 8.1 innings, allowing two runs on seven hits, three walks, eight strikeouts and one home run.
As for the offense, Mike Napoli homered in the fourth to put the Indians up 2-1, and Jason Kipnis homered in the sixth to break a 2-2 tie and for insurance Jose Ramirez singled home Napoli to extend the lead to 4-2.
The Blue Jays managed seven hits, but their power bats, led by Jose Bautista, Josh Donaldson, Edwin Encarnacion and Troy Tulowitzki were a combined 2 for 13, and a walk. A pure recipe for disaster that has dropped Toronto into a 0-3 deficit.
Game 4 will be played on Tuesday October 18, with first pitch scheduled for 4:00 pm at Rogers Centre in Toronto.
Mike Napoli drove in two of the four runs for the Indians finishing the game 2 for 3, 2 R, Double, HR, 2 RBI, BB.
Latest posts by David Conde (see all)
- WBC: USA Crowned With First Classic Title - March 23, 2017
- WBC: USA Beat Japan to Advance To Final - March 22, 2017
- WBC: Puerto Rico Walks-Off Netherlands, Advance to Finals - March 21, 2017