- Chiefs Take Game One, Mother Nature Takes Game Two
- Re-Post: Crown College Baseball: Under The Inspirational Leadership of Coach Gmetro
- Florida State League Offensive Leaders
- MWL Game of the Week: Fort Wayne Wins Late, Again
- International League Leaders
- MLB Player of the Week: 3B Jose Ramirez – Indians
Class-A Catcher Of The Week: Indians Francisco Mejia
- Updated: June 14, 2016
In 2012, the Cleveland Indians signed Dominican native and catcher Francisco Mejia as a non-drafted free agent. Four years later the signing is showing to be a very successful move.
Mejia, 20, started his professional career in 2013 with the Indians rookie team in Arizona and in 30 games he batted .305 with nine doubles, four home runs and 24 RBI’s. In 2014, he was moved to the New York Penn League, Cleveland’s Class-A affiliate and in 66 games, he batted .282, with 17 doubles, four triples, two home runs and 36 RBI’s.
The past two seasons, he has been playing with the Class-A Full season Lake County Captains, in the Midwest League where his game has really surged.
In 2015, and spanning 109 games, he batted .243, with 13 doubles, nine home runs, 53 RBI’s and 38 walks and so far this season, he is batting .335, with 13 doubles, three triples, six home runs and 46 RBI’s.
Earlier in the season he enjoyed a 10-game hitting streak and currently is on a 15-game hitting streak. Over the past week, from June 6-June 12, he is batting .520 (13 for 25), with eight runs, four home runs, and 11 RBI’s.
Mejia, who leads the team in hitting, home runs and RBI’s, is on pace to have his best offensive season in the minors and help the Captains contend for a Division title.
You can also reach out to David at email@example.com
Latest posts by David Conde (see all)
- Prospects on Deck: SS Jake Cronenworth – Rays - April 21, 2017
- Re-Post: Crown College Baseball: Under The Inspirational Leadership of Coach Gmetro - April 20, 2017
- Florida State League Offensive Leaders - April 20, 2017