- Is Brewers Eric Thames The Real Deal?
- International League Player of the Week: RHP Murphy Smith – Blue Jays
- Legends on Deck The Podcast: Episode 8, We’re Back!!!!
- Exclusive Interview – LHP Tayler Saucedo – Blue Jays
- MLB Player of the Week: RHP Seung Hwan Oh – Cardinals (April 17-23)
- Florida State Player of the Week: 3B Zach Shepherd – Tigers
Class-A: Tortugas’ RHP Tyler Mahle No-Hits Hammerheads
- Updated: June 13, 2016
Cincinnati Reds’ prospect RHP Tyler Mahle has added a very big accomplishment to his young career, some that many veteran pitchers even dream of.
At Roger Dean Stadium on Monday afternoon, as the Jupiter Hammerheads hosted the Daytona Tortugas, the right-hander pitched led the Tortugas to 4-0 win as he no-hit the Hammerheads.
Ranked as the eleventh best prospect in the Reds’ organization, the twenty-one year old used just 106 pitches and faced the minimum amount of batters in his nine outing inning that with no hits or walks allowed while striking out eight batters. The only issue that Mahle had that prevented him from a perfect game was when he hit Jupiter’s Brain Schales with a pitch in the bottom of the third.
Since being drafted by the Reds in the seventh round of the 2013 MLB Draft, Mahle has impressed throughout his Minor League journey so far. This season, with the promotion to Advanced-A Daytona of the Florida State League, Mahle is 8-3 with a 2.50 ERA and a 1.07 WHIP. MiLB.com named Mahle as the Reds’ Minor League All-Star after the 2015 season for his 13-8 record in his first full season of pro ball.
The Tortugas got on the board early by scoring two runs in the top of the first, a RBI single by Angelo Gumbs to send home Blake Trahan and then a run scored by Aristides Aquino after Gavin La Valley grounded out for a 2-0 game.
In the top of the eighth, Aquino then hit a two run homer on a line drive to left field to put the Tortugas up 4-0 which would be enough to back Mahle’s gem of an outing and the win.
Latest posts by Bethany Cohen (see all)
- Eastern League Player of the Week: Bobby Bradley-Indians - April 25, 2017
- Eastern League Player of the Week: 3B Aderlin Rodriguez-Orioles - April 18, 2017
- Eastern League Pitcher of the Week: RHP Chance Adams-Yankees - April 11, 2017