- Chiefs Take Game One, Mother Nature Takes Game Two
- Re-Post: Crown College Baseball: Under The Inspirational Leadership of Coach Gmetro
- Florida State League Offensive Leaders
- MWL Game of the Week: Fort Wayne Wins Late, Again
- International League Leaders
- MLB Player of the Week: 3B Jose Ramirez – Indians
Double-A Player of the Week: Gleyber Torres-Yankees
- Updated: April 4, 2017
Quickly becoming a household name to not only New York Yankee fans, but all baseball fans, Gleyber Torres is one of the top prospects in the new wave of youth that is poised to takeover the game.
At just 20 years old, Torres is starting his fourth professional season of pro ball which will also be his first full season in the Yankees’ Organization. Last season he shined as part of the Chicago Cubs’ System and at the trade deadline was traded to the Yankees along with RHP Adam Warren, OF Billy McKinney and OF Rashad Crawford in exchange for the high throwing closer Aroldis Chapman.
The shortstop then shined in the Arizona Fall League by not only earning the AFL Most Valuable Player honors but also by being the youngest player ever to win the Batting Title as well, at just 19 years old.
But, it was this past Spring that cemented the fact that the Venezuelan native, both as a shortstop and also spending time at second base, will be a part of the Yankees’ future. His .448 batting average along with 2 homers, 6 doubles and 9 RBIs in nineteen games earned him the 2017 James P. Dawson Award, which is given each Spring Training to the rookie with the most outstanding level of play and earning an assignment to the Double-A Trenton Thunder.
The 2017 season should be a promising one for Torres as he continues his climb up the Yankees’ ladder. As mentioned above, he will spend some time at not only shortstop but also second base to allow him to be even more versatile and earn his Major League promotion even sooner than later.
The Trenton Thunder will open their season on Thursday night at the Erie SeaWolves for the start of a four game opening series.
Latest posts by Bethany Cohen (see all)
- Eastern League Player of the Week: 3B Aderlin Rodriguez-Orioles - April 18, 2017
- Eastern League Pitcher of the Week: RHP Chance Adams-Yankees - April 11, 2017
- Double-A Player of the Week: Gleyber Torres-Yankees - April 4, 2017