- It’s Time d’Arnaud or Else
- WBC: America’s Pastime or Latin America’s?
- Prospects On Deck: Jorge Alfaro – Phillies C
- Legends on Deck The Podcast: Episode 6, The Business of Baseball
- The Dark Knight’s Next Evolution: From Hurler to Pitcher
- A Bloop And A Blash – Exclusive Interview With Padres Slugger Jabari Blash
Game Of The Week: Happ And Jays Blank Tigers 6-0
- Updated: July 9, 2016
After a late inning rally in the series opener on Thursday night, the Toronto Blue Jays used that same momentum as they were able to shutout the Detroit Tigers 6-0 on Friday night at the Rogers Centre.
The scoreboard remained blank on both sides until the bottom of the fifth when Darwin Barney scored after Josh Donaldson grounded into double play to give the Blue Jays the 1-0 lead.
Toronto chased Pelfrey after six innings allowing one run off of six hits; striking out two and walking three.
Kyle Ryan (ERA 3.30) then took over pitching duties in the seventh but would get just one out after allowing a RBI double by Kevin Pillar on a line drive to center field.
Bobby Parnell would then relieve Ryan but with two on, Parnell allowed a three run homer by Edwin Encarnacion for a 5-0 ballgame.
Happ worked five and two-third innings of shutout baseball; allowing six hits and one walk while striking out an impressive nine batters.
Jesse Chavez then relieved Happ, allowing just one hit in one and one-third innings of play.
The Blue Jays were able to tack on one more run in the bottom of the eighth with a sac fly by Ezequiel Carrera off of Mark Lowe to score Kevin Pillar to make it 6-0.
Pelfrey was charged with the loss as he drops to 2-8 on the season and Happ advances to 12-3 with the win on Friday night.
Ian Kinsler: 1 for 4
Cameron Maybin: 1 for 4
Miguel Cabrera: 2 for 4
Nick Castellanos: 1 for 4
James McCann: 1 for 4
Toronto Blue Jays
Ezequiel Carrera: 1 for 3; R; RBI
Edwin Encarnacion: 1 for 3; HR; R; 3 RBIs
Michael Saunders: 2 for 3
Russell Martin 2 for 4
Justin Smoak: 1 for 4; R
Kevin Pillar: 2 for 4
Latest posts by Bethany Cohen (see all)
- Nats Trade Top Prospects For OF Adam Eaton - December 7, 2016
- Royals Trade Wade Davis To Cubs In Exchange For Jorge Soler - December 7, 2016
- Rockies And Ian Desmond Agree To 5-Year Deal - December 7, 2016