- Is Brewers Eric Thames The Real Deal?
- International League Player of the Week: RHP Murphy Smith – Blue Jays
- Legends on Deck The Podcast: Episode 8, We’re Back!!!!
- Exclusive Interview – LHP Tayler Saucedo – Blue Jays
- MLB Player of the Week: RHP Seung Hwan Oh – Cardinals (April 17-23)
- Florida State Player of the Week: 3B Zach Shepherd – Tigers
Mets Trade RHP Akeel Morris To Braves; Acquire Kelly Johnson
- Updated: June 8, 2016
As the season inches closer and closer to the trade deadline, teams are quickly realizing what moves they need to make if they have any chance of salvaging their season to try and make a playoff run.
Today, the New York Mets made a move as they traded prospect Akeel Morris (and cash considerations) to the Atlanta Braves in exchange for utility player and someone Mets’ fans are very familiar with: Kelly Johnson.
The twenty-three year old right-hander, Morris, has made twenty-two relief appearances with Double-A Binghamton so far in 2016 with a 4.62 ERA and a 2-2 record; striking out an impressive 36 batters in 25.1 innings.
Morris was drafted in the tenth round of the 2010 MLB Draft and as he worked his way through the Mets’ Organization he was used as both a starter and a reliever.
The most interesting factor of this trade is that it almost feels like “Groundhog Day” for the New York Mets. In just 2015 the Mets acquired the thirty-four year old from no other than the Atlanta Braves as well as Juan Uribe in exchange for Robert Whalen and John Gant. This past offseason Johnson once again signed with the Braves for his third stint with the club.
So far in 2015 Kelly Johnson is hitting just .215 with 10 RBIs and just one homer and a .273 OBP and .562 OPS in forty-nine games.
Latest posts by Bethany Cohen (see all)
- Eastern League Player of the Week: Bobby Bradley-Indians - April 25, 2017
- Eastern League Player of the Week: 3B Aderlin Rodriguez-Orioles - April 18, 2017
- Eastern League Pitcher of the Week: RHP Chance Adams-Yankees - April 11, 2017