- Chiefs Take Game One, Mother Nature Takes Game Two
- Re-Post: Crown College Baseball: Under The Inspirational Leadership of Coach Gmetro
- Florida State League Offensive Leaders
- MWL Game of the Week: Fort Wayne Wins Late, Again
- International League Leaders
- MLB Player of the Week: 3B Jose Ramirez – Indians
Midwest League Pitcher of the Week: Ryan Olson – Reds
- Updated: April 10, 2017
Baseball is back and the Midwest League has been action packed through the first four games. We’ve seen opening day home runs, speedy triples, a 16 inning game, and a game that had 29 combined runs scored in it. The bats have been the story so far in the MWL, but even amongst all of the offensive outbreaks, one pitcher had a performance this week that was impossible to ignore.
The 22 year old Ryan Olson was taken by the Reds in the 13th round of last year’s June draft. He played collegiately at Cal Poly Pomona and went 3-0 with a 1.93 ERA in five starts his junior season before being shut down with a season ending spine injury. He pitched for team USA in the 18U championships and also the Cape Cod League the summer after his freshman year. His sophomore season is when he really established himself. Olson went a perfect 12-0 paired with a 1.73 ERA and 92 strikeouts in 88 2/3 innings that year.
After not pitching in a game for over a year and countless days of rehab, Olson finally made his pro debut on Sunday April 9th against the Lake County Captains, and it was one to remember. The native of Upland, California went seven innings, gave up only two hits, walked none, struck out nine, and most importantly, kept the Captains off of the scoreboard. Olson was firing on all cylinders and was extremely efficient. He only threw 79 pitches through his seven innings of work and 51 of those were for strikes. He faced 22 hitters and a crowd of over 2,000 saw him retire 20 of those 22. Olson only had three outs come via fly balls, as he had his stuff working very well in the strike zone. The two seam fastball he throws has a lot of movement and he has a very well developed change as well as a curveball to go with it.
Olson’s Stat Line: 7IP, 0 R, 2 H, 9 SO, 0 BB
Olson’s next start is scheduled for this weekend’s series against the defending MWL champs, the Great Lakes Loons.
Featured Image Courtesy of: Chung Sung-Jun/Getty Images AsiaPac
You can also reach out to Jake at email@example.com
Latest posts by Jake Berry (see all)
- MWL Game of the Week: Fort Wayne Wins Late, Again - April 19, 2017
- SAL Game of the Week: Rome Falls 3-2 in Wednesday’s Rubber Match - April 19, 2017
- Midwest League Player of the Week: OF Marcus Wilson – D’Backs - April 17, 2017