- WBC: America’s Pastime or Latin America’s?
- Prospects On Deck: Jorge Alfaro – Phillies C
- Legends on Deck The Podcast: Episode 6, The Business of Baseball
- The Dark Knight’s Next Evolution: From Hurler to Pitcher
- A Bloop And A Blash – Exclusive Interview With Padres Slugger Jabari Blash
- Atlanta Braves Prospects – Third Basemen
NLDS Game 3: Giants Extend Series With Epic 6-5 Victory In 13 Innings
- Updated: October 11, 2016
On Monday the Chicago Cubs were one win away from advancing to the NLCS for the second straight season, but the San Francisco Giants had other plans as they outlasted the Cubs in an epic 13 inning, Game 3 victory to get back into their best of five game series.
After a scoreless first inning the Cubs put up three runs in the second highlighted by an unlikely three-run bomb over the left field fence off the bat of starter Jake Arrieta.
Giants starter Madison Bumgarner then settled down after giving up the bomb to the opposing pitcher, and the Giants offense went to work scoring in the third and fifth to pull within a run at 3-2. Then in the bottom of the eighth, the Giants finally took the lead scoring three runs highlighted by an RBI triple from Conor Gillaspie scoring Brandon Belt and Buster Posey and an RBI single from Brandon Crawford scoring Gillaspie to lead 5-3.
But the Cubs still had some life in them and in the top of the 9th, Kris Bryant sent a two-run blast just over the left field wall to tie the game at 5-5.
Both bullpens took over to keep the game tied until the bottom of the 13th, when Giants Crawford doubled to right field leading off the inning and then Joe Panik hit a towering line drive off the right center field wall to score Crawford with the winning run.
The Chicago Cubs (2-1) and the San Francisco Giants (1-2) face-off for Game 4 of their NLDS series on Tuesday October 11, at 5:30 PM PT/8:30 PM ET.
Latest posts by David Conde (see all)
- WBC: USA Crowned With First Classic Title - March 23, 2017
- WBC: USA Beat Japan to Advance To Final - March 22, 2017
- WBC: Puerto Rico Walks-Off Netherlands, Advance to Finals - March 21, 2017