- WBC: America’s Pastime or Latin America’s?
- Prospects On Deck: Jorge Alfaro – Phillies C
- Legends on Deck The Podcast: Episode 6, The Business of Baseball
- The Dark Knight’s Next Evolution: From Hurler to Pitcher
- A Bloop And A Blash – Exclusive Interview With Padres Slugger Jabari Blash
- Atlanta Braves Prospects – Third Basemen
Are The San Diego Padres Moving In The Right Direction?
- Updated: November 17, 2016
The 2017 San Diego Padres appear to be a hulking enigma going into the offseason. The Swinging Friar is unmistakably in rebuilding mode, paying roughly $30,000,000.00 to players traded elsewhere. However, San Diego has youth and prospects on its side. Ryan Buchter, Tyson Ross, Yangervis Solarte, and Christian Friedrich are the club’s oldest players at only 29 years old. Top three prospects Anderson Espinoza (RHP), Manny Margot (OF), and Hunter Renfroe (OF) are all inside of Major League Baseball’s Top 50. While this youth movement may not mean a World Series title, it’s certainly looking to be progress from 2016’s atrocious 68-94 season.
Anderson Espinoza (traded from the Red Sox for Drew Pomeranz on July 14) may not be ready to take the mound at Petco Park, but at only 18 years old he’s been compared to Pedro Martinez with a 97 MPH fastball and a 76 MPH curveball. Espinoza started 39/40 of his minor league games with a total 166.2 innings pitched, 165 strikeouts, 3.35 ERA, and 1.23 WHIP. Under the right coaching and player development Espinoza could be the future face of the Padres.
This offseason is crucial for San Diego general manager A.J. Preller, who has a lot to prove after his humiliating suspension for withholding medical information during the trade deadline. Preller has said his main focus this winter is pitching, and so far kept his word, signing Trey McNutt and Bryan Rodriguez to minor league contracts earlier this week. The club has also been linked to left handed starter Derek Holland. One thing is for sure, the Padres have the prospects and the money to shake things up in the National League in 2017.
Latest posts by Mike Duda (see all)
- A Bloop And A Blash – Exclusive Interview With Padres Slugger Jabari Blash - March 22, 2017
- Cards’ Pitcher Ryan Sherriff: Where Will The Car Take Him? - March 8, 2017
- Padres Extend Wil Myers, Avoid Arbitration With Three - January 13, 2017