- Is Brewers Eric Thames The Real Deal?
- International League Player of the Week: RHP Murphy Smith – Blue Jays
- Legends on Deck The Podcast: Episode 8, We’re Back!!!!
- Exclusive Interview – LHP Tayler Saucedo – Blue Jays
- MLB Player of the Week: RHP Seung Hwan Oh – Cardinals (April 17-23)
- Florida State Player of the Week: 3B Zach Shepherd – Tigers
Tim Tebow Shows Power And Speed At MLB Workout
- Updated: August 30, 2016
Former Heismann winning quarterback Tim Tebow took the next step in making his baseball dreams a reality as he hosted a showcase on Tuesday afternoon at Dedeaux Field on the University of Southern California campus.
The twenty-nine year old showcased his outfield skills, took a live batting practice and completed a sixty-yard dash in front of about twenty-seven Major League teams (Oakland A’s, Chicago Cubs and San Francisco Giants were not in attendance) and over forty scouts.
Tebow ran a 6.7 second sixty-yard dash as well as showing his vertical jump, both ranking at an above average scale.
He also took fly balls in center field and then threw from right field. There is no question that Tebow has an arm but it was his outfield skills and arm speed that did leave some questions. While he made the catches, they could have been a bit smoother but, then again if a team takes a chance on him that is a skill that can be taught.
Tebow then took live batting practice for all of those in attendance with two former right-handed pitchers in David Aardsma and Chad Smith. Tebow’s power and strength showed at the plate. He scorched one of the first pitches he took over the scoreboard at Dedeaux Field. Most of his hard hit balls went to right-center field and down the right field line and one pitch went about 430 feet.
So, what have scouts and MLB personnel around the league thinking about the Tim Tebow Showcase?
By various reports and social media posts it seems that his hitting was one of the more impressive skills on display at the workout. He is a fast runner but, it is the outfield skills that need the most work and are a bit worrisome.
But, none of this would prevent even a Minor League Deal. Tebow’s athleticism, strength and power are all qualities that are important aspects of prospect and the Venezuelan Baseball League has already offered Tebow a contract to play winter ball which his team has expressed interest in.
Latest posts by Bethany Cohen (see all)
- Eastern League Player of the Week: Bobby Bradley-Indians - April 25, 2017
- Eastern League Player of the Week: 3B Aderlin Rodriguez-Orioles - April 18, 2017
- Eastern League Pitcher of the Week: RHP Chance Adams-Yankees - April 11, 2017