- It’s Time d’Arnaud or Else
- WBC: America’s Pastime or Latin America’s?
- Prospects On Deck: Jorge Alfaro – Phillies C
- Legends on Deck The Podcast: Episode 6, The Business of Baseball
- The Dark Knight’s Next Evolution: From Hurler to Pitcher
- A Bloop And A Blash – Exclusive Interview With Padres Slugger Jabari Blash
Triple-A: Norris Tosses Shutout In Mud Hens 2-0 Win Over Red Wings
- Updated: June 18, 2016
Toledo Mud Hens starter Daniel Norris tossed seven shutout innings, allowing six hits, and two walks, while striking out eight batters, to earn his fourth victory on the season.
The Mud Hens, Triple-A affiliate of the Detroit Tigers, opened up a three-game series at home against the Rochester Red Wings, a week after losing two of three at Rochester.
Norris worked out of trouble in the first two innings, working around a two-out double to start the game, and two runners on in the second, as he retired three batters in a row to end the threat.
From the second to the top of the fourth, Norris retired seven batters before giving up a one-out single to Eddie Rosario. But he induced a ground ball out off the bat of Wilfredo Tovar and struck out Logan Schafer to keep the Red Wings off the scoreboard.
In the bottom of the frame, the home team scored a run on an RBI single from Tyler Collins.
Rochester would threaten again with a one-out double in the fifth, but once again Norris retired the next two batters to keep the shutout intact.
In the bottom of the sixth, Toledo’s Tyler Bortnick hit a line drive home run over the left center field fence for his first dinger on the season.
Norris entered the seventh inning with a 2-0 lead and once again worked around a runner on base, walking the first batter, and retiring the next three to end the inning and his night.
The Mud Hens bullpen threw two shutout innings of relief, with Bruce Rondon earning his ninth save in 2016.
With the victory the Mud Hens improved to 30-37, with the Red Wings dropping to 40-28.
Norris’ line: 7 IP, 6 H, 0 R, 2 BB, 8 K, 97 pitches/68 strikes.
Latest posts by David Conde (see all)
- WBC: USA Crowned With First Classic Title - March 23, 2017
- WBC: USA Beat Japan to Advance To Final - March 22, 2017
- WBC: Puerto Rico Walks-Off Netherlands, Advance to Finals - March 21, 2017