- WBC: America’s Pastime or Latin America’s?
- Prospects On Deck: Jorge Alfaro – Phillies C
- Legends on Deck The Podcast: Episode 6, The Business of Baseball
- The Dark Knight’s Next Evolution: From Hurler to Pitcher
- A Bloop And A Blash – Exclusive Interview With Padres Slugger Jabari Blash
- Atlanta Braves Prospects – Third Basemen
Yankees’ Gleyber Torres Shows Star Potential In First Week Of AFL
- Updated: October 15, 2016
The Arizona Fall League began play this week and while New York Mets’ recent signee Tim Tebow has been the center of attention, New York Yankees’ prospect Gleyber Torres has been showing his star potential.
In the two games Torres played this week he has three hits, three runs scored, a double, a homer and two runs batted in. His opposite field homer on Wednesday night nearly went out of sight and then on Friday night he hit a game winning RBI single to lead the Scottsdale Scorpions to the 8-7 win.
Ranked as the Yankees’ second-best prospect, Torres has also been showing his defensive skills at shortstop and is likley to play second base during Fall League play as well.
Torres hasn’t been the only Yankees’ Yankees’ prospect that has been shining this week, RHP James Kaprielian who has been recovering from an elbow injury he suffered this season, has made a strong AFL debut so far. On Wednesday he pitched three shutout innings, retiring nine of the ten batters he faced and striking out six batters.
Below is a list of some of the hottest hitting players this past week in the AFL:
RF Hunter Cole (SF Giants): 5H/ 2B/ 2 HR/ 2 RBIs
SS Zach Vincej (Cincinnati Reds): 4H/ 2 HR/ 4 RBIs
LF Eloy Jimenez (Chicago Cubs): 4H/ HR/ 2 RBIs
CF Harrison Bader (St. Louis Cardinals): 6H/ HR/ 2 RBIs
1B Greg Bird (New York Yankees): 4H/ 4-2B/ 2 RBIs
SS Nick Gordon (Minnesota Twins): 6H/ 2 RBIs/ 2 SB
Latest posts by Bethany Cohen (see all)
- Nats Trade Top Prospects For OF Adam Eaton - December 7, 2016
- Royals Trade Wade Davis To Cubs In Exchange For Jorge Soler - December 7, 2016
- Rockies And Ian Desmond Agree To 5-Year Deal - December 7, 2016