LOD Weekly Grapefruit League Report
Red Sox Make Big Upgrade, Live Games In Only 3 Days
The LOD Weekly Grapefruit League Report is your source for Grapefruit League news throughout Spring Training. Check back for spring training highlights and top stories from each camp.
Upcoming Games: College Baseball teams v Grapefruit League teams:
February 22, 2018
- Northeastern Huskies v. Red Sox – 1:05 PM @ JetBlue Park
- Boston College Eagles v. Red Sox – 4:05 PM @ JetBlue Park
- Florida Southern Mocs v. Tigers – 1:05 PM @ Publix Field at Joker Marchant Stadium
- University of Tampa Spartans v. Phillies – 1:05 PM @ Spectrum Field
- University of Minnesota Gophers v. Twins – 6:05 PM @ CenturyLink Sports Complex
Countdown to Grapefruit League Opener: 3 Days
Latest Grapefruit League Team News:
- Boston Red Sox finally got their man as they signed Free Agent slugger J.D. Martinez to a five year contract reported to be worth $110 million.
- New York Yankees Aaron Judge and newcomer Giancarlo Stanton both put on a show at their first official Yankees batting practice together. Season can not come any sooner.
- Washington Nationals all-star slugger Bryce Harper‘s quote to start spring training press conference, “I will not be discussing anything relative to 2019, at all. I’m focused on this year. I’m focused on winning and playing hard, like every single year.”
- Atlanta Braves Hall of Fame third baseman Chipper Jones had high praise for soon to be major leaguer Ronald Acuna, “He’s way ahead of me [as a prospect]. I’d have to lump him in with Andruw [Jones] just because he graduated three [Minor] levels in one year. He’s as good a prospect as I’ve seen.”
- The New York Mets have a full roster this season of healthy or soon to be healthy ball players and that means players may have to be more versatile than in previous seasons. One player that is literally taking that step is Wilmer Flores who the Mets will be teaching to play the outfield this spring. With Todd Frazier at third base, Asdrubal Cabrera at second and Adrian Gonzalez at first, Flores may only get adequate reps if he can quickly adjust to playing the outfield.
- The St. Louis Cardinals brought back one of their own when they signed free agent RHP Jason Motte to a minor league contract and invited him to spring training. Motte was signed by the Cards in the 19th round of the 2003 MLB draft and in six seasons with St. Louis he pitched out of the pen, becoming a dominant closer in 2012 when he saved 42 games. But in 2013, he underwent Tommy John surgery, missing the entire season. He did return in 2014 with the Cards in limited action. Since, Motte pitched for the Cubs (2015), Rockies (2016) and Braves (2017), but never reaching double digits in saves after 2012.
- Newcomer Denard Span is ready to do what it takes to win with the Tampa Bay Rays even if it means moving over to left field allowing the Rays to leave Kevin Kiermaier exactly where he belongs, in center field.
- On Saturday night the Twins traded for Rays RHP Jake Odorizzi, sending shortstop prospect Jermaine Palacios to Tampa.