All About Baseball
Setting Your 2020 Baseball Goals
A new year (and a new decade) is upon us, and it is important to reflect on your relationship with the game of baseball. What were your best baseball memories from 2019? Is there anything you regret missing out on? What baseball plans are you making for 2020? Each one of us may have different answers to these questions.
In my view, 2019 afforded me a number of great opportunities. I expanded my reach as a writer. I was also able to share some great baseball memories with family and friends. In fact, my favorite two article to write in 2019 were Reflections on Spring Training 2019 and LOD at the Ballpark: A Weekend at SunTrust Park. Both of these pieces chronicled my thoughts and observations on live baseball experiences. While I wrote several articles on the Florida State League Home Run Derby and All Star Game, I never wrote about my personal experience covering that game. It was truly one of the top highlights of the year. I was also particularly proud of the work done by Legends on Deck this season, placing a special emphasis on the Florida State League. It is something I know we plan to continue in 2020.
As it relates to the year ahead, January is always a great time to make plans and think about baseball. My bucket list this year includes several recurring events and some new ones. Like in all New Year’s Resolutions, it is important to aim high, but also to make your goals obtainable. Here’s my short list:
- Take advantage of Grapefruit League action. This is one of the greatest advantages of living in Florida. Plans are already in the works to attend several Spring Training games. It helps that I am within a 40 mile commute to my favorite team in Lakeland.
- Attend my first College Baseball game. Over the past few seasons I have dedicated a number of articles to the college game. I truly believe the College World Series is the most underrated spectacle in all of sports. It is my intention to attend a college baseball game this season and write about it.
- Cover the FSL Home Run Derby and All Star Game. As mentioned, this was an incredible experience in 2019. LOD enjoyed full access to covering the festivities. I am looking forward to participating in this year’s game at historic Jackie Robinson Ballpark in Daytona Beach.
- Visit a new MLB ballpark. Last year, I had phenomenal experience visiting SunTrust Park in Atlanta. While I have not made any decisions on this year’s game, I have set a goal to attend a game at an MLB stadium that I have not visited before.
- Test my strength in Fantasy Baseball. In 2019, I played in two fantasy leagues. It was the first time I had played fantasy baseball in many years. Turns out, I came in first in one league and second in the other. I learned a lot about the importance of frequent lineup changes, waiver wires and other strategies that gave my teams a competitive edge. In 2020, I am prepared to compete at a higher level and I am seeking opportunities to do so.
Keeping my 2020 bucket list at five items makes the list much more obtainable. Items one and two can be obtained very early in the year and item five will require a full season commitment. These are unlikely to be the only baseball goals I will pursue, as my passion for exploring various aspects of the game often pulls me in different directions as the season progresses. I will revisit this list later this year and reflect upon how well I accomplished these goals and what other directions I was led as a result of these pursuit.
Here’s to a great year for our beloved sport! What are your baseball goals for 2020?
You must be logged in to post a comment.