The 2015 Cubs, 107 Years In The Making
Four wins from an improbable trip back to the World Series.
The Chicago Cubs are the only team that have not won a World Series in 107 years. The last time a World Series title was held in Chicago was back in 1908.
Wikipedia explains the history behind the jinx of the Cubs:
Curse of the Billy Goat, that was placed on the Chicago Cubs in 1945 when Billy Goat Tavern owner Billy Sianis was asked to leave a World Series game against the Detroit Tigers at the Cubs’ home ballpark of Wrigley Field because his pet goat’s odor was bothering other fans. He was outraged and declared, “Them Cubs, they ain’t gonna win no more,” which has been interpreted to mean that there would never be another World Series game won at Wrigley Field. The Cubs have not won a World Series since 1908, or appeared in one since 1945.
Now if you don’t believe in curses, then just know that the Cubs have not had any luck after reaching the World Series in 1945 and games leading up to the big event; things seem to change very quickly.
- 1910-1945 – The Cubs reach the World Series seven times, but never win.
- 1945 – Curse of the Billy Goat
- 1969 – The epic collapse that allowed the Mets to overtake the Cubs for first place after being down 9 1/2 games in Mid-August. Oh Yes and the black cat that found its way in front of the Cubs dugout in a game against the Mets.
- 1984 – Cubs advanced to NLCS against the Padres, took a 2-0 lead in best of five, but lost two straight to force a Game 5, took an early 3-0, but saw the lead vanish and their chance of getting back to the World Series.
- 2003 – The Cubs, playing the Marlins in Game 6 of the NLCS, were five outs from the World Series, when a foul ball headed to the left field stands was playable by Moises Alou, but a Cubs fan reached out and disrupted the play, not allowing Alou to make the play. End result, Marlins rallied and won Games 6 and 7 and advanced.
- 2007-2008 – Back to Back NLDS sweeps.
Fast forward to 2015, and the Cubs are in the NLCS for the first time in 12 years, and have another opportunity to make it back to the World Series. Could this finally be the season it happens? Will the curse that has bestowed on this team for 70 years, will be finally be lifted?
The 2015 Cubs are built to be a winner, they have young studs that are playing over their heads and veterans that have mixed in very well to form a dynamic hitting and pitching squad. But is that enough? Can their manager Joe Maddon get them ready for what will be the biggest series in their history as they are favorites to win the World Series by sports books in Las Vegas. They won 97 games, third most in the majors, also tying the 2008 squad, and the most since 1945 when they won 98 games, that could be one of the many reasons for having the odds in their favor.
Will the pressure of the last 107 years take the best of this young bunch? So far it doesn’t seem that way, as they finished the season on an eight game hitting streak, even playing the Kansas City Royals in a make up game from May 30th and winning 1-0. Defeating the Pirates 4-0, in their Wild Card game, then going through the Cardinals and winning the series 3-1.
The Cubs are built to win, but the question on everyone’s mind is, ‘Will they actually get it done?’
The Cubs faithful hope that this team will finally overcome the many years of bad breaks and make the prediction from the 1985 Back to the Future stick.
The dream season for Chicago continues on Saturday night, as they face the New York Mets, who have not been in the World Series since 2000 and have not won since 1986.
Game 1 of the NLCS at Citi Field, with first pitched scheduled for 7:30 pm.
Who ever wins this series, it will definitely be one for the History books.
You must be logged in to post a comment.